Monday, March 9, 2015

How can positive expectations impact your life? (Day 1) Daily Plans: Monday, 9 March

Happy Monday AVID Team!
***************************
Homework: Make sure you have a complete draft of your statement of purpose BY WEDNESDAY!
***************************
Big Idea: Power
Essential Question: How can positive expectations impact your life?
Objectives: I can...
...add to your positivity file.
...evaluate the importance of positive expectations.
...elaborate on your personal statement.
...revise and organize your work.
****************************
1) Warm Up: Positivity File (5 min)
  1. Open up your positivity file from last week.
  2. Add one quote that inspires you.
  3. Add one image or video that inspires you.
2) Literacy Block: The Pygmalion Effect (30 min)
  1. Number your paper 1-18.
  2. Take this quiz about self sabotage. Do this silently. Use context clues to figure out confusing terms. Write you answers in your notebook.
  3. Watch the video clip and read the excerpt from the play "Pygmalion".
    1. HIGGINS. You let her alone, mother. Let her speak for herself. You will jolly soon see whether she has an idea that I haven't put into her head or a word that I haven't put into her mouth. I tell you I have created this thing out of the squashed cabbage leaves of Covent Garden; and now she pretends to play the fine lady with me.
  4. Read the selection below from "How to use the "Pygmalion" Effect".

    1. In the story told by the Roman poet Ovid, Pygmalion is a sculptor who falls in love with a statue he has created. George Bernard Shaw borrowed the theme for his play Pygmalion — later turned into the musical My Fair Lady — in which Professor Henry Higgins makes over the Cockney flower girl Eliza Doolittle, becoming besotted with her even as he teaches her how to speak proper English (“The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain… “).
      Psychologists, too, have picked up the motif, researching what they call the “Pygmalion effect”. The finding, as social psychologist Robert Rosenthal puts it, is “that what one person expects of another can come to serve as a self-fulfilling prophecy.”
    2. In your notes relate Pygmalion the myth, Pygmalion the play, and My Fair Lady.
  5. Read "Pygmalion Leadership: The Power of Positive Expectations" and take notes on anything new to you, specifically the prompt below.
    1. List places where the Pygmalion Effect can be seen.
    2. Summarize the study done and it's findings.
  6. So what? Corners game!
    1. I understand the Pygmalion Effect.
    2. I expect myself to do well.
    3. I've had times when I told myself I could do something and then I did!
    4. There has been a time when I thought I couldn't do something but a coach or family member told me I could and I did!
    5. There has been a time when I thought I couldn't do something but a friend told me I could and I did!
    6. There has been a time when I thought I couldn't do something and a teacher told me I could and I did!
    7. My family expects me to be successful.
    8. My teachers expect me to be successful.
    9. Society expects me to be successful.
    10. My expectations of myself are higher than other people's expectations of me.
    11. My parents have higher expectations for me than I do for myself.
  7. Note it! Whose expectations matter the most to you and why? Will these expectations help you or harm you?
    1. Example: My teammates expectations matter to me a lot because the success of our soccer team depends on each person! Most of the time these expectations help me be a better soccer player, but sometimes my teammates are lazy or push too hard.
3) Time to Work: My Statement of Purpose (20 min)
  1. Keep working on your Statement of Purpose. 
  2. Before class on Wednesday you need to have a draft of each paragraph.
4) Success Workshop: (12 min)
  1. Revise your notes!
    1. Take out your notes for the class you struggle with most. 
    2. Highlight key terms, add HOT questions, and write summaries.
  2. Organize yourself!
    1. Make sure your binder and TOCs are set up correctly.
5) Exit Ticket: Start the week SMART! (5 min)
  1. Set a school SMART goal.
  2. Write a personal SMART goal.
  3. Post these on the door to evaluate on Friday.
http://classiclit.about.com/library/bl-etexts/gbshaw/bl-gbshaw-pyg-5.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment